Leveraging your current investment in Deltek project and financial management software tools means getting your people up and running quickly and effectively. Ten Six Consulting specializes in building your Earned Value Management System (EVMS) around the Deltek Cobra application. Our SMEs know it inside and out. They can build you a project, integrate it with your scheduling, financial and reporting systems, and design, build and run your monthly reporting processes. Not only that, they will teach your team how to do it as well.
To give you an idea of the challenges involved in effectively deploying a working Deltek Cobra implementation, here are just some of the main steps:
- Develop a Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) for the project
- Develop an Organizational Breakdown Structure (OBS)
- Determine the correct levels for control accounts and work packages
- Develop an Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) that is mapped correctly for Cobra integration and aligns with the WBS and OBS
- Create a project calendar that aligns with the financial periods of the organization
- Develop calendar sets to support specific management reporting needs
- Build additional ancillary files in Cobra to support the WBS, OBS, Codes, rates and resources
- Prepare correctly formatted spreadsheet files and use the integration wizard to load the ancillary file data from these spreadsheets
- Establish thresholds against the WBS for variance reporting as required in the IPMR CPR Format reports
- Develop rate files for direct and indirect rates used for internal and external people, materials, travel, ODC and FTE values
- Develop resource calculations that correctly model the financial burdening process
- Establish direct and indirect result categories for correct burdening calculations
- Build a project file that is ready for integration with the master schedule
- Develop integration configurations for loading the IMS into the Performance Measurement Baseline (PMB)
- Build a project that contains the control accounts and work packages required to complete the entire scope of the required deliverables
- Create resource assignments in a time-phased configuration to build your profile of planned values for the project
- Correctly initialize a baseline of the final approved project plan
- Setup all the distributed, undistributed, contract ceiling, CBB and Management Reserve budget accounts
- Determine the forecasting requirements for the project (statistical and manual forecasts)
- Initialize forecast classes for ETC management
- Define required cost classes for the various cost tracking requirements
- Determine your approach for handling accruals/estimated actual costs
- Build cost classes for additional cost tracking as required
- Develop code files for unique and specialized reporting requirements
- Troubleshoot integration issues throughout the project setup process
- Validate ancillary data and run end to end tests on the initial system
- Etc., etc., etc…
So are you ready? Does implementing a Deltek Cobra system still look like something you are ready to tackle on your own – or would a little help go a long way to getting you started. Our team has decades of experience and they are ready to save you a lot of pain and frustration.
This rather daunting list represents only some of the items that need to be in place to get started. We can then begin to start managing the monthly processes of entering status in the IMS, advancing status dates and calendars, integrating with Deltek Cobra, calculating the earned value, loading actual costs from the accounting systems, reporting, exporting, backing up, and so on.
Our experience, coupled with Deltek Cobra’s powerful integration technology, enables us to bring you the most common sense and cost effective system possible. Almost any combination of financial and project management software tools can and has been implemented by our experts at one time or another, exploiting the power of Deltek Cobra.
The bottom line is: earned value management software applications are not as straightforward to implement as is, perhaps, a mainstream database, or financial or data warehousing systems. Implementation of EVM software tools requires a peculiar mix of technical, financial, project and earned value expertise; a mix rarely found in the general workplace.
Ten Six consultants are experts in plugging this short-term knowledge gap. We will work closely with your program team to help get tools integrated and your people working under their own initiative. Our hands-on training, coaching and mentoring approach to implementation is the Ten Six cornerstone principal that ensures your success. When assisting in the EVM certification of your first project, our focus on skills transfer will secure your future technical and process independence as new contracts are won.
In short, Ten Six application consulting isn’t just about plugging in tools. It’s about empowering our customers to grow, and augment their systems as they grow their EVM contract portfolio.