Primavera P6 Professional Fundamentals Training
Get to know Primavera P6 Professional
Learn how to create and manage a project
Understand activities, relationships and constraints
Build confidence interpreting data and creating reports
Learn with an experienced and trusted training provider
Learn the fundamentals of Primavera P6 Professional as used in engineering and construction in just 2 days.
P6 is typically used as a stand-alone and often mobile system in the construction and engineering industries, so we have created a course that bypasses the multi-user, enterprise functionality and teaches you what is needed to build and manage a robust construction/engineering schedule.
You’ll leave the course with a solid understanding of how to use the software, as well as being able to confidently provide schedules and reports to clients in Primavera P6 Professional formats.
Our Primavera P6 Professional Fundamentals training has been developed with the help of construction industry professionals who use Primavera P6 in the field. The schedule data and techniques used in this class are based on real projects and real industry methods of working.
Who should take this course
This Primavera P6 Professional Fundamentals training course focuses on the needs of engineering and construction professionals.
Using Primavera P6 Contractor? No problem. The skills obtained in this class will map perfectly to this cut-down version of the Primavera P6 Professional software.
This course is for:
- Project managers
- Team leaders
- Other roles responsible for scheduling work, creating reports or supporting project work
This course is for people using the Windows client version of Primavera P6. If you use the web-based version, you should book on to the Primavera P6 EPPM Fundamentals course instead.
- Two days of live instructor-led training
- Instruction manual
- Free access to our on-demand P6 video course
Don’t worry about not being able to remember everything. You’ll also get free access to our on-demand video course so you can refresh your knowledge whenever you need to.
Ways to take this course
You can join our Primavera P6 Fundamentals training online or in-person at one of our venues in Chantilly, Virginia.
We also offer this course at your own location. Do you have a team to train? If so, get in touch and find out when we can come to you.
Dates and Prices
Includes instructor-led live training during the course dates, course materials, free access to our on-demand video class.
|Online||January 24-25, 2023||Available|
You can also contact us by phone at (703) 910-2600 or email to book places for yourself or colleagues.
Primavera P6 Professional Fundamentals Course Contents
Wondering what you’ll learn? Here’s the complete syllabus for the 2-day course.
Lesson 1: Introduction & Learning Objectives
- The Project Management Life cycle
- Initiating Process Group
- Planning Process Group
- Executing Process Group
- Monitoring and Controlling Process Group
- Closing Process Group
Lesson 2: Getting to know Primavera P6 Professional
- P6 user interface and navigation
- Customizing the P6 views and layouts
Lesson 3: The Enterprise Project Structure (EPS)
- Understanding the purpose of the Enterprise Project Structure
- Modifying the Enterprise Project Structure
Lesson 4: Project Creation
- Creating a new project
- Understanding the project status options
- Modifying project settings
- Creating and using project codes
Lesson 5: The Work Breakdown Structure (WBS)
- Preparation of a best-practice WBS
- Creating a WBS in P6
- Modifying the WBS elements
Lesson 6: Adding Activities
- Activities and their attributes
- Activity types and their importance in building a schedule
- Creating new activities
- Creating and assigning activity codes
Lesson 7: Relationships and Constraints
- Relationship types in P6
- Creating relationships
- Understanding the forward and backward pass and Critical Path Method (CPM)
- Applying constraints to activities
- Adjusting the duration and finish date of your project
Lesson 8: Formatting Project Data
- Modifying the grouping of project data
- Sorting data in a table
- Using filters to control the data displayed
- Modifying the appearance of the Gantt chart
- Modifying Timescales
Lesson 9: Resources & Costs
- Creating resources
- Pricing resources
- Assigning resources to activities
- Working with the Resource Usage Profile and analyzing resource assignments
Lesson 10: Resource Analysis
- Analysis overview
- Analyzing resource availability
- Mitigating resource overloads
Lesson 11: P6 Baselines
- Understanding the principles of Baselining P6 project schedules
- Creating and assigning baselines
- Displaying baseline data in the Table and Gantt chart
- Understanding variance
Lesson 12: Progressing the Project
- Understanding the P6 data date
- Updating activity progress information, actual dates and costs
- Using the Progress Spotlight feature
- Updating the project using the schedule feature
- Correcting issues in the schedule using Reflections for What-if analysis
Lesson 13: Reporting
- Running reports from a layout
- Creating and running reports using the reporting wizard
- Modifying existing reports
What customers say about our Primavera Training
The training manual, trainer and training approach are all first rate.
Stephen Werner – CACI
Can’t think of anything wrong at all. The class was near-perfect.
Darren Sherman – Colas, Inc
Ian was very helpful and did a great job of tailoring his approach to meet our situation and needs. He was a great resource in helping us with our approach to implementing Primavera P6 for our project. Great course!
David Bement – Northrop Grumman
Paul is an excellent trainer and very diplomatic. He ran a very structured class and kept us all on track. He was very thorough.
Karl Gauthier – Enerkem
What does the course include?
The course includes two days of training from an experienced instructor, course materials, and free access to our self-paced online video training for Primavera P6.
Is there an exam?
No, there is no exam with this Primavera training course.
How is the course taught?
Our online classroom is a comfy and relaxed learning environment. You’ll be able to chat to other delegates and ask the instructor questions.
What if the course gets cancelled?
We never cancel our courses. Your course is guaranteed to run.
Who will my instructor be?
All our instructors have real-world experience in relevant industries, and plenty of hands-on software knowledge. They are also expert trainers, so you are in good hands! When you book, you’ll be sent the information about your class including relevant details about your instructor.