These instructions show how to install a new instance of Microsoft SQL Server Express 2005/2005 Express. The principles are the same for installing an additional instance of SQL Server Express 2008, although the dialog screens will be a little different. This article shows an example adding an instance named P6Instance for an Oracle Primavera P6 database instance, but just replace this name with the name you require.
SQL Server allows for the segregation of databases with the use of named instances of SQL Server on the server machine. When an instance is created, its name is added to the server name string in order to login to that database, e.g. SERVERNAME\InstanceName.
This assumes that you already have a standard or default instance of SQL Server 2005/2005 Express installed on your server machine.
To install additional instances of SQL Server on a server, the SQL Server installation program is run. The following steps illustrate this process.
1. Run the SQL Server Setup program; e.g. SQLEXPR.EXE.
2. Click the Next button until you reach the Instance Name dialog.
3. Enter the name of the instance you wish to create.
4. Click Next.
5. In the Authentication Mode dialog, select the mode required for the instance.
6. In the Ready to Install dialog, click the Install button.
7. In the Setup Progress dialog, click Next once the setup reports ‘Setup finished’.
8. In the Completing Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Setup dialog, click Finish.
Your instance will now be available and will display as a service in the Services dialog.
You will now be able to login to the new instance by appending the instance name to the Server Name in the Connect to Server dialog.