August is the month we all get to see the latest version of Primavera P6 18.8. Oracle has just released Primavera P6 18.8, which for those of you with on premises installations, will be an upgrade from the previous version 17.12. This release brings the features from earlier 18.x versions previously only available to Oracle cloud users. Because of this, this is a pretty big release!
What’s New in Primavera P6 EPPM 18.8
At long last, it seems like we’re there! Oracle has removed the last of the Java applets from Primavera P6 EPPM. In this months release of Primavera P6 18.8 all remaining applets will be disabled. The HTML-based pages load faster and do not require additional plug-ins.
In some cases, the HTML-based pages offer the same or very similar functionality, while other pages have been redesigned. With this release, Portfolio Capacity Planning, Dashboard Scorecards, Project Risks, EPS. Activities and Resource Assignments are now in HTML5.
Also, following HTML5 page enhancements have been added:
- Progress Spotlight is added to the Activities page
- Ability to cut, copy and paste multiple WBS nodes is added to the Activities page
- Ability to import and export views is added to the EPS and Assignments pages
The removal of the remaining applets impacts the following areas and Oracle has no plans to re-write these:
- Resource Team Summary
- Open Request for Resource
- Resource Analysis Chart: Replaced with improved charts in Resources/Resource Analysis
- My Workgroups
- Portfolio Gantt Chart
- Project Workspaces
- Resource Planning
Finally, classic views from EPS, Activity, and Resource Assignments have been removed.
Other Primavera P6 18.8 Enhancements
Interactive Gantt in the Standard View of the Activities Page and Capacity Planning Page’s
You can change the duration, start, or finish dates of activities directly in the Gantt in the Standard View of the Activities Page.
You can also drag the beginning or end of an activity bar to change the duration or drag the whole activity bar to apply a Start On Or After constraint. Drag multiple activities to change the start and finish dates.
Add new activities, and link or unlink activities from the right click menu in the Gantt. Assign relationships by dragging in the Gantt and modify or delete relationships by right-clicking on the relationship line.
In the Capacity Planning page, change the forecast dates of a project by dragging the forecast bar to a new position in the Gantt.
Performance has been enhanced in loading the Activities, EPS, Resource Assignment, Resources, Roles, and User Access pages when multiple user-defined fields are included in the review.
Import global and export global data
You can now import and export data via Excel on the Enterprise Data page. This feature is helpful for periodic updates of enterprise data. Existing data can be updated and new data can be added.
If data fails to import, download a copy of the import file with appended information on why data failed to import. In this release, activity code import and export has been implemented.
Team Member Improvements
Team Member also gets a few new features including:
- You can now filter based on the primary resource assigned to an activity in both P6 for Android and iOS.
- You can search the activity list based on codes and user-defined fields in P6 for Android and iOS.
- You can use a setting in P6 to restrict whether resources in Team Member Web, P6 for Android and iOS can assign themselves to activities outside the resource’s OBS access.
- You can now use up to five criteria to filter activity data. You can also group activities and assignments by project and WBS.
Integration with Oracle Prime
You can now import tasks from the Oracle Prime Projects Tasks to Primavera P6 Professional when connected to an EPPM database to integrate your lean scheduling process with P6. Prime tasks are visible in the Primavera P6 Client as tasks assigned to activities in integrated projects.
Prime Sync is no longer supported in P6 EPPM. Use Primavera Gateway to configure a connection between Primavera P6 and Oracle Prime Projects.
Special Operation Event Triggers
The following special Operation event triggers have been added:
Publish Audit Data Job Service, Global Search and Replace Job Service, Import Job Service, Export Job Service, and Update Baseline Job Service.
P6 Web Services Read Activities operation is faster in customizing the Activities Page view when the open project contains a large number of activities.
New Features in P6 Professional
Some new import features have been added to Primavera P6 Professional including:
- View XML Import and Export Logs Without Primavera P6 EPPM: you can now view XML import and export logs without the need for Primavera P6 to be installed on Primavera Virtual Desktop.
- Import Zipped XER Files: You can also import XER files directly from a zipped file with no need to unzip it first.
- Import and Export Location with Projects: When you import and export Projects using the Primavera XML format, location data is included in and retrieved from the XML file.
New improvements in offline working for P6 Professional. You can now view the date and time when a project was last cached in the Last Cached Date column in the Projects View.
Performance Percent Complete field based on labor units – The Performance % Complete – Labor Units field in Primavera P6 Professional shows the percentage earned value of the budget at completion as calculated from labor units.
Both Primavera P6 EPPM and P6 Professional’s mapping guides are now available in both HTML and PDF format.
Manage personally identifiable information in both Primavera P6 EPPM and Professional. New capabilities have been added that enable you to manage the personally identifiable information you store in P6 Professional, including creating consent notices, auditing consent status, and controlling access to specific data.
You can also watch a video, by Oracle, of the new features in HTML5 in Primavera P6 EPPM.
This is a pretty big release for all users that have their Primavera P6 installation on site. Oracle cloud users have seen half a dozen smaller releases this year that are now all included in Primavera P6 18.8. We popped our champagne corks over the demise of Java applets in favor of HTML5. This alone makes running Primavera P6 EPPM so much easier for organizations and much less hassle for end users. As a Primavera P6 EPPM user, you should upgrade as soon as you can!